Dedicated to authenticity in gameplay, as well as keeping up with current superstars of the National Pastime, MLB 09: The Show contains over 700 new gameplay animations, more than 150 new personalized pitcher and batter routines and hundreds of new presentation animations. In addition, the game also recognizes subtleties surrounding the action that are as much a part of the game as anything on the field. Just a few of these are the creeping shadows of a twilight game, the wear and tear a field will show as the season progresses, scoreboard animations, and changes in the clothing of the fans as the season moves from spring, summer and into fall.
An Update to 'The Road to the Show'
Previous versions of The Road to the Show functionality have allowed not only for extensive customization of in-game players, but also for the ability to play offense and defense through that player's eyes. This year with Road to the Show 3.0 players can take this fine tuning even further with a new steal and lead off system, inter-active training through mini-games and enhanced interaction with managers and coaches as customized players make their way off the bench and into MLB superstardom.
In the past all too often fielding functionality simply consisted of positioning your player somewhere near the ball, no matter how the ball appears to be hit. But MLB 09's Hotshot Fielding changes all that. Now if a ball looks too hot to handle without a little extra effort then it probably is. If you can master the dynamic player reactions possible through Hotshot Fielding then there may be a golden glove in your future, otherwise your fielder may bungle that shot to the gap or line drive.
Online League Play
Providing you with the ability to set up leagues with up to 30 teams offering full stat tracking, point benefits and rewards. Customize as you see fit; choose your players, teams, length, rules and much more. Whether it’s you and a couple buddies or 29 of your closest friends, bragging rights are on the line.
Key Game Features:
- Road to the Show 3.0:The new version of the popular mode includes an all-new steal and leadoff system, and more interaction with the player's coaches.
- Franchise 2.0:Now includes salary arbitration, waiver transactions, September call-ups, and the 40-man roster.
- Improved online play:Now includes flex scheduling to allow players to play out-of-order games, and Roster Vault option to allow gamers can create their own custom rosters and upload them online for other gamers to use.
- Custom Music/Replays:Gamers will also be able to store their favorite songs to their PlayStation 3 and assign them to be played at various points in the game, including a batter's walk-up animation. Players may also create custom taunts.
- Hotshot Fielding:The game now includes more dynamic fielder reactions and animations, as well as improved bare-handed flips.
- MLB Player Motion Captures:MLB 09 The Show features authentically captured motions from dozens of professional athletes including David Wright, David Ortiz, Eric Chavez, Roger Clemens, Trevor Hoffman, Tim Hudson, Darryl Hamilton and more.
- Progressive Batting Performance:Player abilities can improve or regress depending on how the gamer plays.
- Post Game/In Game Pitcher and Batter Analysis:Pitch Analysis is a breakdown of all the pitches thrown during the current game being played. Gamers will be able sort by pitcher, LHB or RHB, pitch type and result. This feature is also available for Batters, and the batter analysis allows for a breakdown of how a batter has performed based on LHP or RHP, Pitch Type, and result.
- Pitch Grips:The game will accurately graphically reflect the pitch being thrown on the pitcher's hand, and will include 17 different pitch types including five fastball variations (four-seamer, two-seamer, cutter, splitter, sinker), five breaking pitches (10-4 curve, 12-6 curve, slider, slurve, screwball), four change-ups (straight, circle change-up, palmball, forkball), and three specialty pitches (knuckle, knuckle-curve, and the gyro).
- SportsConnect Online User Tracking (SCOUT):SCOUT allows gamers to set their game preferences, store them on the server, and then allows the system to look for a Quick Match with an opponent that fits their criteria.
- Live Sports Updates:# Live MLB updates in-game, as well as SportsConnect Headline News.
- Multi-Branch Fielding:Branch Point Technology goes to a new level as gamers you can now take full control of fielders and break out of any animation in the process. Change a fielding decision and branch out of any animation after the first branch point.
- Adaptive Pitching Intelligence (API):Catchers will call the game based on individual strengths and weaknesses of each pitcher and analyze tendencies of batters.
- Pitch Command System (PCs):Pitchers' abilities to throw a specific pitch change depending on how often the pitcher throws it.
- Revamped Umpire Personalities:Umpire personalities have been tweaked further.