How Choosing a Mattress Affects Your Quality of Sleep
Getting a good night's sleep is important, but it can be a challenge if you don't have a comfortable mattress. Choosing a high-quality mattress can make all the difference in the world. In fact, if you're suffering from insomnia, aches and pains, snoring, or other issues related to poor sleep, it could very well be because of your mattress.
The Risks of Poor Sleep
Not getting good sleep won't just make you sleepy the next day, it could potentially lead to various physical and mental health issues. According to the National Institute of Health, the following are some of the health risks that a lack of sleep can lead to:
- Cardiovascular disease - A lack of sleep can result in disruptions in underlying health conditions and your normal biological processes, including your blood pressure, glucose metabolism, and inflammation.
- Depression - According to the National Sleep Foundation, altered sleep patterns are a common indicator of mental health issues, such as depression.
- Diabetes - According to the American Diabetes Association, sleeping less than 6.5 hours a night can increase the risk of high blood glucose levels.
- High blood pressure - Your body needs sleep in order to regulate stress hormones. The inability to do this can lead to hypertension.
- Stroke - A recent study revealed that healthy people who maintained a normal weight that slept less than 6.5 hours a night were 4.5 times more likely to suffer from stroke symptoms than people who get at least seven or eight hours of sleep.
- Weight gain - Because a lack of sleep impairs judgment, it can make choosing healthy dietary options more challenging. An irregular sleep schedule can also impact when, how often, and how much you eat.
The Benefits of Good Sleep
If the risks of bad sleep weren't enough to convince you to invest in a better mattress, then consider the following benefits of a good night's sleep. Good sleep promotes:
- Healthy brain function
- Healthy growth
- Healing of any injuries
- A strong immune system
- Improved emotional well-being
Choosing a Mattress
Considering the risks of poor sleep and the benefits of good sleep, it's important that you choose a mattress that’s comfortable and that allows you to relax. Try out one of the many mattresses we carry to determine which one will fit your needs best.