Slow Cooker Recipes for Game Day
Game day isn’t just about the game; it’s also about the food. Whether you are hosting game day at your house or you are hosting a tailgate, you are preparing food for your party. Keeping your recipes simple (and of course delicious) will make life a lot easier for you. Here are a few of our favorite slow-cooker recipes that are perfect for game day! What makes these recipes so perfect you might ask? Not only are they delicious and simple, but with the slow-cooker you prepare it and leave it to cook, giving you the opportunity to socialize with your party…which makes you the perfect host!
Slow-cooker Turkey Chili Recipe - So delicious and so easy to make!
What you will need: (4-6 servings)
· 1 ¼ pounds lean ground turkey
· 1 large onion, chopped
· 1 garlic clove, minced
· 1 envelope chili seasoning mix (1.25-oz)
· 1 can beer (12-oz)
· 1 ½ cups frozen corn kernels
· 1 green bell pepper, chopped
· 1 red bell pepper, chopped
· 1 can crushed tomatoes (28-oz)
· 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed (15-oz)
· 1 can tomato sauce (8-oz)
· ¾ teaspoon salt
Toppings: shredded cheddar cheese, finely chopped red onion, sliced fresh jalapenos
1. Cook the lean ground turkey, onion, garlic and chili seasoning first in a large skillet over medium-high heat, stirring often, 8 minutes or until turkey crumbles and is no longer pink.
2. Stir in beer and cook 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Next, spoon mixture into a 5 ½-qt. slow-cooker: stir in corn and next 6 ingredients until well blended.
3. Cover and cook on LOW for 6 hours. Serve with desired toppings.
Recipe Courtesy Southernliving.com
Buffalo-Style Drummettes with Blue Cheese Dip - Classic game day treat!
What you will need: (15 servings)
· 3 pounds of chicken wing drummettes, skinned (30 drummettes)
· ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
· ¾ cup thick hot sauce
· 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
· 1 teaspoon reduced-sodium Worcestershire sauce
· 2 garlic cloves, minced
· Blue Cheese Dip
· 30 carrot sticks
· 30 celery sticks
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
2. Line a jelly-roll pan with foil; coat foil with cooking spray. Place chicken on prepared pan; sprinkle with pepper. Lightly coat chicken with cooking spray. Bake uncovered at 450 degrees for 7 minutes or until lightly browned.
3. Combine hot sauce, cider vinegar, Worcestershire sauce and garlic in an oval 4-quart electric slow cooker coated with cooking spray.
4. Remove chicken from pan; drain on paper towels. Place chicken in slow cooker, tossing gently to coat with sauce. Cover and cook on HIGH for 3 hours or until chicken is tender. Serve with Blue Cheese Dip, carrot sticks, and celery sticks.
Recipe Courtesy Oxmoor House
Slow-Cooker Pulled Pork Sandwiches - Guaranteed to be a hit!
What you will need: (4 servings)
· 3 tablespoons light brown sugar
· 2 teaspoons hot paprika
· 1 teaspoon mustard powder
· ½ teaspoon ground cumin
· Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
· 1 to 4 pound boneless pork shoulder, trimmed of excess fat
· 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
· ½ cup apple cider vinegar, plus more to taste
· 3 tablespoons tomato paste
· 6 potato buns
Barbecue sauce and prepared coleslaw, for serving
1. Combine 1 tablespoon brown sugar, paprika, mustard powder, cumin, 2 teaspoons salt and ½ teaspoon pepper in a small bowl. Rub the spice mixture all over the pork.
2. Heat the vegetable oil in a large skillet; add pork and cook, turning until browned on all sides for 5 minutes. Remove the pork and transfer to a plate; whisk ¾ cup water into the drippings in the skillet. Transfer the liquid to a 5-6 quart slow cooker.
3. Add the vinegar, tomato paste, the remaining 2 tablespoons brown sugar and 2 cups water to the slow cooker and whisk to combine. Add the pork, cover and cook on low for 8 hours.
4. Remove the pork and transfer to a cutting board. Strain the liquid into a saucepan, bring to a boil and cook until reduced by half, about 10 minutes. Season with salt roughly, chop the pork and mix in a bowl with 1 cup of the reduced cooking liquid, and salt and vinegar to taste. Serve on buns with barbecue sauce and coleslaw.
Recipe Courtesy Food Network Magazine
Loaded Creamed Corn with Tomato - Get ready for a loaded bowl of Southern style goodness. This easy side dish is perfect for game day!
What you will need: (16 servings)
· 4 packages of frozen kernel corn thawed (12-oz)
· 1 ½ cups half-and-half or light cream
· 1 cup chopped onion
· ½ cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
· ¼ cup butter cut up
· 1 teaspoon sugar
· ½ teaspoon salt
· ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
· 5 thick slices of bacon
· ¾ cup shredded Monterey jack cheese with jalapeno peppers (3-oz)
· ½ cup chopped tomato
· 2 tablespoons snipped fresh Italian parsley
· 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
· 1/8 teaspoon sugar
1. In a blender combine the corn from one package and the half-and-half. Cover and blend until smooth. In a 4 quart slow cooker combine blended corn mixture, the remaining corn, the onion, parmesan cheese, and butter, 1 teaspoon of sugar, salt and pepper.
2. Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 3-4 hours or on high-heat setting for 2 hours.
3. In a skillet cook bacon over medium heat until crisp, turning once. Drain bacon on paper towels; cool. Cut bacon into 1 inch pieces.
4. Sprinkle Monterey jack cheese and bacon over corn in slow cooker. Cover; let stand about 5 minutes or until cheese is melted.
5. In small bowl stir together tomato, parsley, vinegar, and sugar. Before serving, spoon tomato mixture over corn in slow cooker.
Recipe Courtesy Better Homes and Gardens
We hope you’ll give these recipes a try on game day. We can’t guarantee your team will win, but we can guarantee the food will be a success!