The Importance of a Good Night’s Sleep for a Child
Sleep is important to the general well-being of any person, especially a child. A child who has had plenty of sleep will often be friendly and curious; however, a child that doesn't get enough sleep can become irritable and detached the next day.
The Benefits of Sleep for Children
There are many benefits to ensuring that your child gets the sleep that they need. First of all, children are still developing physically and emotionally. A full night's rest can help them improve their memory, their ability to pay attention, their problem-solving skills and their concentration. Physically, sleep can promote skin, muscle and bone growth. A good night's sleep can also help a child to stay healthy and fight off sickness.
How Much Sleep Should a Child Get?
So how much sleep is required for a child to be well rested the next day? According to the National Sleep Foundation, children need roughly 11 to 12 hours of sleep to function properly during the day, whereas teens only need an average of 8.5 to 9 hours of sleep.
Experts recommend that children go to bed before 9:00 PM to get the rest they need. However, every child is different, which means that you should pay attention to how difficult it is for your child to fall asleep, how often they wake up and how affected they are by a lack of sleep the next day to create a personalized sleep schedule.
Promoting Good Sleep for Children
Some kids are restless sleepers. If this is the case for your child, there are a few steps you can take to counteract this, including:
- Making them take naps throughout the day to make up for lost sleep at night.
- Limiting screen time and loud music in the hour before they go to sleep.
- Creating an environment that promotes sleep by making sure the room is dark and that all electronics are off.
- Investing in a mattress that is comfortable.
- Establishing a night time ritual, such as reading a story while they are in bed. This can make bedtime more fun, making it easier to get your children to sleep at the right time.
Good sleep is essential to your child's well-being and will result in a healthier and more attentive child. Visit us to find a mattress that will help to promote healthy sleep today.